Monday, May 6, 2013

Pickpockets Madrid



Sketch of two girls with maps pick pocketing


Day 3 - Government web sites and travel guides warn about pickpockets. One area often mentioned for theft is Puerta del Sol . As we walked off the central square, I was startled by a loud noise on the street. As I turned, I encountered two young girls (~13 years old) holding maps up to their faces and pressed up against my now opened backpack.

I've spent a lot of time in South Louisiana and have a little bit of experience with charging alligators. As ridiculous as this seems, I tried the evasive technique and completely surprised the thieves. An older adult directing the girls stepped into the street and, with a sharp whistle , they all vanished into the crowd.

Nobody hurt and nothing stolen. A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment